Sukumar is an Indian director, writer and producer who predominantly works in the Telugu industry. The movie ‘Arya’ directed by him brought him a lot of fame.
Sukumar’s film Arya
Sukumar Bandreddi was born on Sunday, 11 January 1970 (age 51 years; as of 2021) in Mattaparru, East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He did his schooling at a Zilla Parishad High School, Andhra Pradesh. He pursued a Master’s degree in mathematics.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 42 Inches, Waist: 32 Inches, Biceps: 12 Inches
Parents & Siblings
Sukumar’s father’s name is Tirupathi Naidu, who was a rice trader.
Sukumar with his father
His mother’s name is Veera Veni, who was a homemaker.
Sukumar with his mother
Wife & Children
Sukumar got married to Thabitha Sukumar on 13 June 2009.
Sukumar with his wife
He has two children. His son’s name is Sukranth Bandreddi, and his daughter’s name is Sukriti Bandreddi.
Sukumar with his son
Sukumar with his daughter
He was in a relationship with Thabitha Sukumar.
Sukumar and his wife when they were dating
Director & Writer
Sukumar started his career as a director and writer in 2004 with the Telugu film ‘Arya.’ He later directed and wrote Telugu films that include Jagadam (2007), 100% Love (2011), 1: Nenokkadine (2014), Nannaku Prematho (2016), and Pushpa: The Rise (2021).
Sukumar’s movie ‘1 Nenokkadine’
He debuted as a producer with the Telugu film ‘Kumari 21F’ in 2015. Some of the other Telugu films produced by him are Darsakudu (2017), 100% Kadhal (2020), and Uppena (2021).
Poster of Sukumar’s movie ‘Uppena’
Awards, Honours, Achievements
• Best Screenplay Writer for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005. (Won)
Filmfare Awards South:
• Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005. (Won)
• Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘Arya 2″ in 2010. (Nominated)
• Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘Rangasthalam’ in 2019. (Nominated)
• Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘100% Love’ in 2013. (Nominated)
South Indian International Movie Awards:
• Best Director (Telugu) for the movie ‘100% Love’ in 2013. (Nominated)
• Best Director (Telugu) for the movie ‘Nannaku Prematho’ in 2017. (Nominated)
• Best Director (Telugu) for the movie ‘Rangasthalam’ in 2019. (Won)
• Best Director (Jury) for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005. (Won)
• Best Screenplay writer for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005. (Won)
• He won the Santosham Film Awards for Best Director for the movie ‘Rangasthalam’ in 2019. (Won)
• He won the KV Reddy memorial award in 2014.
- He follows a vegetarian diet. In an interview, he revealed that when he was six years old, one of his favourite roosters was killed and cooked. After watching the slaughter and feeling bad about it, he decided to follow a vegetarian diet.
- Before he started working as a director, he was a lecturer for six years in a college. He used to teach the subjects mathematics and physics at the Aditya Junior college, Kakinada. Later, he started assisting big directors as a writer.
- He has his own production banner named ‘Sukumar Writings.’
- According to Sukumar, he met his wife at the screening of his debut film ‘Arya.’ They got married to each other after dating for some time, but Thabitha’s family did not accept the marriage initially.
- In an interview, he talked about his film ‘Pushpa’ and said that the real idea was to make ‘Pushpa’ a web series, but later he changed his mind and after some research on it, he made it a movie.
- The 2021 film ‘Pushpa: The Rise – Part 1’ was released in five other languages. The movie became a superhit in the cinemas. After the first week of the release, it earned a business of almost Rs. 128 crores gross worldwide. This is the seventh film to earn such a huge amount. In an interview, Sukumar talked about his experience with the film and the actors in the film and said,
I have come to know that, despite the competition from ‘Spider-Man’, our film has created a record in Nizam territory. In Hindi, we didn’t do adequate publicity due to time constraints. SS Rajamouli garu kept prodding me to do publicity. I told him my film is not a ‘RRR’ or a ‘KGF’. He said that if I believe that it’s a pan-India film, it will be one. Rs 4 Cr is what our film has made in North India (Hindi version) on Day 1. Bunny is quite popular among the Hindi audience. His popularity has fetched the film this kind of market.”
- In 2021, he did a noble work by financing Rs 18 lakh to the school where he studied as a child. He helped in building two new classrooms in the government school at Mattaparru village.